Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A time spent doing something I enjoyed.


Hello everyone! I have finally found sometime to update my blog! This time, I am going to share with you a time during the day which I spent doing something I enjoyed. As you can refer to the pictures below, i had spent my entire evening practising the piano. Although many people may find practising the piano a chore, but I wouldn't say that as I love playing the piano and couldn't have spent my evening in a in a better way. I have thoroughly enjoyed every moment of my practise.  Although i am only preparing for grade 7, yet I waiting eagerly to spurt on to the next level, however, I have to admit that the some of the exam pieces that I have just started to learn are pretty hard. Today i practised Prelude in D flat, composed by Aleksandr Nikolayevich Skryabin. It would be the second examination piece that I would be playing for the exam in September this year. Here's a short background knowledge on him. The Russian composer (1872-1915) studied at the Moscow Conservatory from 1888 to 1892, after which he embarked on a successful career as a concert pianist, playing mainly his own music and that of Chopin. His music is written in a very personal and highly chromatic post- Wagnerian style. I would say that this piece is pretty hard but yet exciting. As I had spent my afternoon practising my instrument which I will elaborate on another post, I was drained by the time I reached home. However when I practised the piano in the evening, I felt relaxed as it is not like other instruments whereby you need a great deal of concentration and it was a way to shake off all my stress after a long and tiring day at school.


 Although not many people may appreciate classical music nowadays, but I still like it as I think of it a way to remember some of the famous late composers and know that their wonderful music still lives on. I felt really relaxed and happy when I'm played the piano today as it felt wonderful to be making good music. Today I also played some modern pop songs and it was really gratifying to watch them play in their music videos or concerts and know that I could do the exact same thing.
  Although I had much difficulty playing the piece, I would continue to practise until I am smooth and would be able to play it once through with the dynamics and with expression. There were times where I couldn't get a part in the music right no matter how hard i tried as my fingers just wouldn't obey orders, i took breaks and watched some television and did not let it get to me. I tried again later, as I know I would get it right soon as long as I keep practising and finally I managed to get my fingers accustomed to the rhythm and the movement of the keys.
Although I love piano, yet I know what my priorities are and will always put my studies and what more is more important before my other leisure's such as music first. I managed to squeeze out an evening of practise today as there wasn't much homework or revision to do. I really hope to be able to find time in the future to practise the piano. There is a video of the song above. I hoped you had enjoyed reading this post!

3 comments: